Saturday, December 09, 2006

Capiche, Google?

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the rave these days. SEO is an activity, which primarily involves ordinary human beings trying to outsmart the programmed robots of the search engine gods. In the internet age, every individual’s life is being exposed in some arbitrary fashion via a random listing of SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages).

As a regular “searcher” myself, I rarely go beyond the first couple of SERPs on the “searchees” that I occasionally Google. I have therefore concluded that I need to take control of my own destiny and ensure that the two people (my wife and my dog) who might someday Google me get to see the “Jack Nargundkar” SERPs of my choosing! So this blog is my very own SEO exercise to influence the appearance of those initial SERPs, when my wife finally decides to Google me. Apparently, one of the tricks is providing the desired links in a blog such as this to pages that you wish to appear upfront in the SERPs. So here goes:

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on November 3, 2006, "A Man, a Cab, a Cellphone, a Laptop"

Jack Nargundkar in the Wall Street Journal on October 24, 2006, "Counting War Dead Is Difficult -- Therefore, Let's Not Exaggerate"

Jack Nargundkar in the Wall Street Journal on October 6, 2006, "Musharraf May Be Our Fair-Haired Boy Now . . . But Watch Out"

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on September 4, 2006, "Are We Seeing a Half-Empty Glass?"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on July 29, 2006, "Still Dreaming"

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on March 8, 2006, "Bush and the Nuclear Subcontinent"

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on January 8, 2006, "Other Voices: How The Times Handled the Surveillance Story"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on April 11, 2005, "No Individual Blamed"

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on April 1, 2005, "A Life Ends, and a Nation Pauses to Reflect"

Jack Nargundkar in the New York Times on December 16, 2004, "Medals at Odds With Reality of War"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on May 27, 2004, "Punctuate a Comma Date"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on February 4, 2004, "Screening Bush: The Winners"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on December 5, 2003, "'Cut and Run' and the Right Approach in Iraq"

Jack Nargundkar in the Business Week on December 29, 2003, "The Challenge From India"

Jack Nargundkar in the Washington Post on April 12, 2003, "Next Steps on Iraq"

These are links to my letters that have been published in the The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and Business Week in the past three years. As a budding writer I would like to see these articles appear in the first couple of pages of my SERPs. Capiche, Google? My wife then might finally come round to believing that someday I could make a living as a writer!

2 comments:

Jay said...

Good new look, Dad. The new PP is looking as spiffy as the new CB! Regarding your "Google bombing" efforts, the way you have is barely a fraction as effective as if you have those URLs with the text of them being "Jack Nargundkar."

That's how Google associates those links with your name when you search for it--it needs a concrete way to tie that link to the search term (your name).

For example, instead of
http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F10A11FE3B5B0C708CDDA80994DE404482

Do, Jack Nargundkar

See more examples on my blog here.

Jack Nargundkar said...

Good catch, Abs! It was late at night and I was in a hurry to publish. I have fixed this now.
Thanks.
Dad.